Thursday, August 30, 2007

Getting Daddy Home!




Our Sailor!

Casey being gone has probably been the hardest part of the pregnancy. It was hard when this was a perfectly normal pregnancy, but being a high risk pregnancy has made it even harder. Laying in bed at night feeling Dylan do flips in my stomach is such an amazing feeling, and I only wish that Casey was here to be able to experience it with us. We are so fortunate to have such great friends and family surrounding us that are willing to step in. But nothing compares to Casey. I just wish that he could be at the Ultrasound Appointments to witness his daughter sucking her thumb in my tummy. Or being sassy (just like her mommy) and kicking the Doppler away when the Sonographer places it on my stomach. I just wish that we could sit it front of the TV, cuddled up on the couch at night, and Casey could have his hand on my belly as I drink a glass of ice water and Dylan starts to have a party in mommy's tummy.

My biggest journey in this pregnancy next to making sure that Dylan gets the best care possible has been to get her Daddy home for her birth. And let me tell you Ladies and Gentlemen, this has been quite a mission. He was originally going to be home for her due date (December 4th), his boat would beach days before and then he would board a plane home. But, with her due date being moved up 4 weeks I was determined to get him home for that. With an 18% mortality rate nationally, I am going to do EVERYTHING in my power to make sure that he is home in case something happens. The quest started the Monday after the Ultrasound that detected the Gastroschisis.

Dr. Mills had informed us that the Red Cross would be more than willing to help us get Casey home. He said that all I would need was a letter from my OB stating what Dylan's condition was. I made an appointment for that upcoming Wednesday. After meeting with the OB, she had said that she would help in writing a letter. It took over a week to get the letter and it was POOP!!!! All it said was: Casey and Ashley's baby had gastroschisis which was an abdominal wall defect, the baby would have a prolonged hospital stay, both mother and baby are fine, but mother is under extreme emotional distress and requests her husband at the birth. Really?!?! I am stressed? How Dare I?!?! Who wouldn't be stressed having their baby with no family close, no husband and a birth defect? The doctor's office was un-willing to alter the letter stating that they are not the babies doctor and do not know what the babies condition will be when she is born. All I needed was a letter stating the mortality rate of gastroschisis is "x", gastroschisis is "x", the baby will be in the hospital for "x" amount of time, the average birth is between "x" week and "y" week. But they refused. I called the Red Cross to have them help me. They said not a problem, they would help. Then an hour later I got a phone call from the stating that because Casey was not in Iraq or Kuwait they were unable to help due to new guideline changes. Is there any water in Kuwait or Iraq? I think not! I then met with a surgeon who stated that they could not write the letter for me because they were not my doctor, they were Dylan's and Dylan wasn't born yet. Agghhhh!!!! Will someone please make up their mind?!?!? I then called the OB's office AGAIN begging and pleading to help me. They then set me up with a neonatologist named Dr. Watterkotte. I was so prepared to be frustrated again. Prepared for another DEAD END!! Much to my amazement this was one of the best meetings that I had. I met Dr. Watterkotte in the NICU at Banner Desert at 7pm one night. He sat me down and went over EVERYTHING with me about gastroschisis. I learned all about the medical paralysis that they babies will be under for about a week after they are born, all the way to the first fecal movement the baby will have. All of this was such a relief to hear. Just to have someone sit down with me and explain what my baby girl had and what he journey would be was so nice. I asked Dr. Wotterkotte if he would please write a letter to the Navy so that I could get Casey home. Without hesitation he obliged. I received the letter in the mail early the next week. I couldn't have asked for a more eloquently written letter. He covered almost everything. From the delivery methods to mortality to surgery details. It was all there! The only thing it was missing was the fact that I will not go full term. Which is one of the most important parts or else the Navy will send Casey home on my due date.

I forwarded Casey the letters that I had. The sucky one fr0m the OB, the amazing one from the Neonatologist. The last mission was to set a date and get the surgeon to write a letter. This was accomplished on Tuesday! Wohoooo!!!! And this too was forwarded to Casey to give to the Navy.
I also recontacted the Red Cross and forwarded them ALL of the letters that I have gathered. They then contacted Dr. Watterkotte and took a statement from him pertaining to my due date and then the Red Cross sent a message to the U.S.S KittyHawk to inform them of the Smith Family Situation in the U.S.

So far so good. This has been hard trying to get the Navy the CORRECT things to allow them to get Casey home. Whenever I get an email from Casey he is trying his hardest to get home for Dylan. He says that his command is being very helpful right now, which is so great to hear. I know that Casey is having a very hard time not being here and the second that the Navy tells us he can be home in time there will be such a weight lifted off of our shoulders. So PLEASE, keep praying that the Navy will allow Casey to return home to his family during this crucial time. I have all the faith in the world that Dylan will be fine. We just NEED Casey to be here with us, just as much as he NEEDS to be here.

My emotions seem to run a little thin when people ask me about Casey being home for Dylan's birth. But I just have to have faith! Please keep us in your nightly prayers.

No comments: