Saturday, September 1, 2007

To "C", Or Not to "C": That Is The Question

One of the most common questions that I get asked when people hear of Miss Dylan's Gastroschisis is " You will have a C-Section, right?". So, I thought that would be one of the first topics that I addressed in the long list of questions that I am asked. The answer is "No!". Dylan will be born naturally. Or at least that is the plan. My initial thought was that she would have to be delivered by Cesarean section. How could she be delivered any other way with her intestines like they are? But after talking to many doctors and doing my own research I have found out that C-Section is not the answer. According to UCSF (where Dylan will be born), a premiere research hospital, there is no outcome difference of babies born via c-section versus vaginal birth. And because it is safer for the mother's to have a vaginal delivery not only during this pregnancy but also in future pregnancies they advocate for a natural delivery if at all possible.
After meeting with the Neonatologist in Phoenix I learned USC pediatric surgical and obstetric group differs with this opinion and advocate for cesarean at 35-36 weeks. Other obstetrical or pediatric surgical literature or practitioners do not support this approach (that of cesarean). UCSF advocates for induction of vaginal delivery at 36-37 weeks. The plan is to induce me at 37w1d. If all goes well I will progress in a safe and steady amount of time and Dylan will come naturally. I will be on close monitoring throughout the labor and if for some reason Dylan gets distressed and needs immediate delivery we will then proceed with a c-section. I will be administered an epidural fairly early in the delivery and they will up the dosage if c-section is required. My goal is to deliver Dylan naturally in a fairly quick, low pain labor. But, I also want a million dollars, so we will see what happens! I will labor in one room surrounded by family (at least the grandmothers and husband), as as labor progresses I will be moved into a sterile OR/Delivery Room for the actual birth. Dylan will not go in to her surgery right away, but because her organs will be outside of her body we want to make sure she is delivered in as "clean" of an environment as possible. I will go into more detail of Dylan and her surgery in an upcoming blog. I feel like I am overwhelming people with information.

I do want to take a minute to thank everyone that has sent me an email about the blog. I really appreciate all of the kind words that have been expressed. Everyone that reads this has a special place in My Family's heart. Thank you for taking your time to read this and take interest in our daughter's fight. She is such a blessed little girl to have so many people praying for her and already loving her before she has even entered this world. I cannot wait to tell her that the reason she recovered in such a record time was because of all of the love she had from so many people. I just don't feel like I could ever say "Thank You" enough. Please know that Casey, Dylan and I appreciate it more than you will ever know. THANK YOU for being a part of our new family and THANK YOU for being a catalyst in our daughters survival.

No comments: