Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Monday's Appointment

So yesterday was my new schedule of Monday appointments at UCSF. Originally I had scheduled them for 10:30 so that I didn't catch wretched traffic when driving in from San Jose. But, I got a phone call that I had to be there by 8:15. So, up at 5 it was!!! I was on the road by 6 since I figured it would take 2 hours with traffic. IT DIDN'T!!! I was there by 7.
I had my NST at 8:15 (well it was supposed to be at 8:15, I didn't go in until 8:45). Everything looked great. They checked my fluids and they were up to a 17.7!! Can you believe that? Less than two weeks I was at 6.1!! Then they hooked me up to the machine and just monitored Miss Dylan's heart, her baseline (what her heart beats at consistently) was its typical 139bpm. She was fast asleep (mommy hadn't eaten yet), so they couldn't get the accelerations in her heartbeat that they need. The Nurse brought me a piece of chocolate, I wasn't sure what it was for. She asked me to eat it, and so I did. About 30 seconds later Dylan began to go crazy. I thought she was going to break through my stomach and jump out. She was a little incredible hulk in there. The only problem with this was SHE DIDNT STOP!!! The way it is supposed to work is a)Dylan establishes her baseline (139bpm), b)her heart accelerates to 160+bpm c) her heart decelerates back to 139ish-bpm. d)repeat. Instead Dylan established her baseline at 139bpm then when she got the chocolate (mom isn't a chocolate eater) she went up into the 175+range (it has never been that high) and then established a new baseline at 160bpm. The nurses didn't know what to do. She just was not gonna lower her heart, she was literally HIGH off of the chocolate. Lesson we have learned from this: Ashley cannot give Dylan chocolate as a child if Ashley wants to stay sane. The nurses then did a BPP(?) and said they could make a viable case that Dylan was good and healthy so they let me run (and when I say run, I mean run) to my next appointment.
I zipped up my jeans (oh yes ladies and gentleman, I am still in my pre-pregnancy jeans, knock on wood), ran up the stairs, and ran down the street to get to my next appointment. My appointment wasn't until 9:30, but they wanted me there at 9:00. I ran in at 9:20. I sat and sat and sat, and then they got me in at 10:00. I needed to be at my next appointment at 10:30 and if I missed my 10:30 then I was in TROUBLE. The nurses brought me back, we talked about my health history, how I was feeling etc. The doctor was running behind so the nurses wanted to know if I would like a Flu Shot. Who knew you could have a flu shot when you were pregnant? I sure didn't. Apparently there is a killed (inactivated)virus flu shot that pregnancy women can receive. So, I got my flu shot! Then the doctor came in (Dr.Hopkins) and we talked a bit, she wanted to know how I was feeling and answer and questions I had. Dr. Hopkins informed me that we were not going to do the amniocentesis on the 14th before delivery. I told her about my right leg pain and she was concerned that I could have a blood clot building up in my right leg. She seemed to think that my pain is very uncommon ( I figured it was normal). She wanted me to have dopplers done by the sonographer on my leg to make sure there was no clotting. We finished up at 10:27, I switched into my running shoes and took off to the Ultrasound lab.
I made it at 10:34, just in time!! I had to wait another 30 minutes or this appointment (everyone was running behind today, maybe because it was a Monday). Dan was my sonographer, it was very odd having a male. I am not sure why, but it was just very different, not bad, just different. He checked Dylan's bowels, amniotic fluid and all the normal stuff. He didn't measure Dylan this time, which I thought they were going to, so we don't know how much she weighs this time. So sad!! He said he thought everything looked okay. They will review everything today in the department meeting and let me know how Dylan looks this afternoon. I think everything is great! I did have 3 contractions during my Ultrasound, I didn't know I was even having them, the sonographer told me I was having them. Other than that I think that we are still on track for the 14th! Dan also traced my vein through my leg to make sure that there was not a clot. He said he didn't see anything out of the normal, but the radiologist would look at it today and let me know if there is anything questionable.
So all in all it was a very uneventful Monday, thank goodness!!! I will let you guys know as soon as I hear ANYTHING!!! 16 days until daddy comes home!!!

No comments: