Monday, December 3, 2007

Feedings Resume

So, last night was a VERY rough night. Dylan is usually the happiest baby ever and doesn't cry. But her tummy was so distended and tight yesterday. She is normally at 27.5cm around her belly button and last night she was at 31cm after those couple of very small feedings. At about 9 o'clock the melt down began. From 9 until after midnight this little girl just screamed. It was a "I'm in pain scream". We got her Tylenol and that didn't seem to help much. And when we looked in her diaper there was a poopy!!! She was still screaming, so I rocked her more, I could feel gas in her diaper. Still screaming!!! Daddy sang to her, Still Screaming!!! She was burping when he was holding her, more belly actions. We checked her diaper again, more poop. WE repositioned her, still screaming. Nothing was working. We finally got her settled out about midnight and went home to get a couple hours of sleep before returning. The surgeons were at her bedside when I walked in this morning, they said she looked good and that we should resume feedings. The pediatrician came in and looked at her belly and said since it went down and her replogle was running clear we were in deed going to resume feedings. I expressed my concerns about the NG to her, I asked her how she felt about an NG and she said it causes nose bleeds, so they don't like to use it. I told her I wasn't fond of the idea of placing an NG and then removing in in another day when her belly increases again. She totally agreed with me. So Casey, Myself and the doctor decided that we would place and OG in her mouth (just like her replogle) and it would feed her her milk, and then be removed after. If this works for a couple of days the distension doesn't occur then we will replace with an NG. I just do not want to keep placing and removing something in her nose. She is used to something in her throat. So we just resumed feeds and she finished one about 5 minutes ago. Casey is holding her right now and just told me that there is something going on in her diaper. He is very funny when he says this. He scrunches up his nose when he says it, but I know he loves it!!!

So I do not think that I have said this, because I have been in denial. But Casey leaves on Wednesday. I cannot believe how quick this month has gone by. I do not know how I am going to do this without him. He has been an invaluable support to Dylan and myself. I just love sitting here watching the 2 of them play games and rock out with each other. Such a beautiful sight.

I will update later!!

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

I wish I was there for you/Dylan...I think we all have been in denial about Casey...just know myself (and many many others) are here for you, though I know no one is better to have by your side than your hubby :(. Love you all :).

atpanda said...

Oh Ashley... I can't even imagine! You should be together as a famliy. But thank goodness you had this time together, after all your hard work getting Casey home! I have just loved seeing the pictures of the three of you. I can tell you're tough, and you sure do have a lot of support around! You'll do awesome!
BTW, if I haven't said it before, I think Casey was meant to be a dad. :-)