Saturday, December 1, 2007

Feedings begin!

So the doctors think that Dylan is ready to begin her feeds. When I had spoke with the pediatrician the other day he had told me that she would not be bottle fed, this made me happy. He said she would be fed through a tube so that they could quantify her intake and that they would allow her to "recreational feed" (on my breast) once a day. I asked the doctor if the tube was an NG tube and he said no, they only like to do NG (nasal gastric tubes) if the baby is going to have it for a long time, instead he wants to use a OG tube, this is similar to the replogle. It would go through her mouth and into her stomach and send the food to her tummy that way. When we came in today the nurse told us that feeds would begin today and I asked her in what form that would be and she said through a bottle. I wasn't very happy and told her what the doctor had said 2 days ago about feeds, I am just concerned about Dylan getting nipple confusion. So, she paged the residents and then the attending and spoke with them about the plan. The doctor said to put an NG in place, this made me grumpy. He had explicitly said 2 days ago that he does not want to do an NG tube, this was his idea, why would I think this up? I know nothing about NG vs. no NG. Oh well!! So they will place the NG today and then give her her first 3 cc's of breast milk. Hopefully it all goes well. She didn't poop at all yesterday, which is weird since she pooped 6 times that day before. And I don't know if you remember but yesterday is also when her replogle came out. I asked the pediatrician if those correlate and he said no, but he wanted to listen to her belly. So he listened and said that her bowel sounds have dramatically reduced. He said that that could be why she isn't pooping, and then he let us know that this could be one of those big step back times. He also told us that her replogle could have to be placed back in if her bowel sounds didn't come back. They are going to give Dylan a sepository to see if that will get her to poop. And is nothing comes out after the feeds then it will definately go in (the replogle). This littel girl has such a great personality. Dad and her are rockin' out to the Beatles (AGAIN) while Dylan sports her signature mohawk. Today we get to put her in her first clothes!! Wohoo!!!!

1 comment:

The O'Neal Family said...

Ashley,
I have to say I am ver proud of you for being on top of everything and keeping those drs and nurses in check. You are already such a great mom, a lot of people would just go along with whatever their nurse or dr says and unfortunately they make mistakes too so good for you for looking out for Dylan knowing what's best. I can't wait to meet her and see you again! Take care. XOXO
Joely