Friday, November 9, 2007

How she got here!

Sorry it took so long for me to write this. Things have been a little crazy these past couple of days, plus I needed my drugs to wear off so that I could write complete legible sentences.



Anywho, here is how this little girl came into this world......Monday I had all of my prenatal appointments. Mom got into town on Saturday, so she was able to go with me. My first appointment was an Ultrasound, they just wanted to check the blood flow of Dylan's intestines etc. When the sonographer was looking at her stomach she noticed that one of Dylan's loops of bowel was extremely enlarged. She had actually used the phrase " I have never seen a dialted bowel that big before". She was also having a really hard time finding Dylan's stomach. Normally babies stomachs are filled with amniotic fluid therefore there is not an issue finding them on a ultrasound. But, they thought since her bowel was so enlarged that she could have no room to drink anymore amniotic fluid hence they could not find her stomach becuase it was empty. She continued to take more ultrasound pictures and then let me get dressed and hussle to my appointment with Dr. Hopkins.

Mom and I got to Dr. Hopkins appointment and waited for the meeting. I in the meantime had to tinkle SO BAD and there bathrooms might be smaller than airplane toilets. Why would you do such a thing? Try and squeeze pregnant woman into a airplane bathroom? That is just cruel. Plus when you are pregnant they require a urine sample at every appointment. I think they just think it is funny to make women back into a bathroom, have to shimmy around a toilet to close the door, do their business and repeat backwards. I must admit, it was funny. I think there was a lot of falling into walls and banging around. Dr. Hopkins then called us in. We sat there for a minute and then I could hear her talking on the phone in the other room. Mom and I sat very quietly trying to listen to the conversation. I then looked and mom and said "something is not right.". Dr. Hopkins came in a reviewed the Ultrasound with us. She told us that she had consulted with many other doctors in the Fetal Treatment Center about the U/S findings. She spoke with a radiologist, surgeons, neonate, peditrician, etc. She inforned us that this baby needed to come out. But, they were trying to decide if it was best for me to be induced that moment, or was I to take steroids (betamethazone) for 2 days to ensure that Dylan's lungs were developed and then to enduce at that point. I sat and cried. Not because of Dylan. I have nevcer doubted that Dylan was going to be okay, that is why we were in Calofornia. These doctors knew what they were doing and I had no doubt she would be okay. But I broke becuase Casey wasn't here. He wasn't supposed to fly in until Friday and this was Monday. I tried getting ahold of his to let him know what was going on, but my cell phone wouldn't call international. So I called my dad in tears to get him home. I was 35 weeks at his point, babies lungs are the last thing to develop and there is a chance that her lungs were not completely developed. Since she has to undergo so many surgeries we wanted to rule out lung failure. After all doctors weighed in I was sent to triage to have the baby monitored and it was decided that I was going to be induced and not wait for the BetaMethazone. Labor could take 2 plus days which would put her lungs into 36weeks and should be mature at that point. Anywho, the hospital was full at this point. And I sure wasn't prepared to stay there and have a baby, I didn't have a bag or anything. Plus, my legs were in desperate need of shaving!!! Especialyl since I hadn't seem my husband in how many months. If he would have seen my legs like that he would have been very tempted to board a plane right back to Tokyo.

No comments: